03 June 2014

(As Yet) Unidentified Baseball Sets From Korea

The following are images I've picked up during my various research forays into the more Korean parts of the web.  Most of these I found on auction sites or blogs, but were accompanied with very little identifying information aside from perhaps year of issue.  I post them here in hopes that someone may be able to shed some light on their origins.  As a result of how I found the images, I know next to nothing about them, but if hard-pressed, could probably turn up the page where I found them.

As best I can tell, based on the blog I found these on, they are from 1980 and were inserted with Lotte Choco Pies.


For the rest of these, I'll just number them in case anyone has any information, and I will fill in details as I learn them. As I can relocate where I originally found these images, I'll post links to those sites.

Unknown #1 - 1992 LG Twins team set.
-Now available at TradingCardDB.com

Unknown #2


Unknown #3


Unknown #4


Unknown #5


Unknown #6 (1982?)


Unknown #7 (1982?)


Unknown #8 (1983)




1983 Haitai Choco Home Run


Unknown #10 (1994)


Unknown #11 (1996)


Unknown #12 (1996)


Unknown #13 (1997)


*** UPDATE ***
Unknown #14 (1998 KBO stickers)
Dan, of the Korean Cardboard blog, has now identified this set and added the complete to TradingCardDB.com.  https://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/153146/



Unknown #15 (2009)
Jerry Royster

Unknown #16


Unknown #17


Unknown #18
This was posted to the Net54Baseball forum, but the owner doesn't know anything about it aside from a Korean co-worker says it was issued by Lotte.


4 comments:

  1. That's a pretty good start! If only I had seen even a couple of these in Korea when I was there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unknown #1 looks like what I think was an LG Twins team set that Rob Fitts used to sell on his old website (that's not there anymore).

    The guy in the Dragons uniform in the first shot of Unknown #16 is Jong-beom Lee, who played with Chunichi from 1998-2001. The Dragons pitcher in the second shot is Dong-yeol Sun who was with them from 1996-1999 which probably puts the set in 1998 or 1999.

    Is unknown #15 Jerry Royster? He managed Lotte in 2008 and 2009.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I hit the Wayback Machine and found confirmation of the LG Twins set on a 2007 snapshot of RobsJapaneseCards.com.

      And for #15, yes that is Jerry Royster.

      Delete
  3. All three of those Lee Seung Yeop's I'll never find along with many others I'm sure. :(

    ReplyDelete